Energize CT’s policy is to respect and protect the privacy of our website users, consistent with the applicable laws of the United States and the State of Connecticut, including the Connecticut Freedom of Information Act and the Connecticut Personal Data Act. We do not collect, use or disclose any information about our users without their knowledge and approval. We do not share Personally Identifiable Information (PII) with third parties unless we have informed users of this website about the disclosures or when we have prior consent.
Visitors should be aware that we may be required to disclose personal information in response to valid legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena, or court order, or pursuant to the Connecticut Freedom of Information Act. All record keepers face the possibility that disclosure of their records may be compelled in some civil, criminal, or administrative matters. Disclosures may also be necessary to protect the State’s legal rights or during emergencies if physical safety is believed to be at risk. These events are unlikely, but possible.
Information You Submit Voluntarily
We collect and store any information you submit voluntarily on this website or provide to Energize CT through other contact we have with you. Information is collected from website visitors, including in the areas described below:
- Registration – If you voluntarily register for specific information, including events, we will generally ask you to provide contact information such as your name, email address, and phone number. Please note that you may visit our website without registration.
- Surveys – In order to improve our services to you, we may occasionally ask visitors to complete surveys, which may be collected by an independent third-party. Individual survey answers are confidential. If you do not wish to participate in a survey, you may decline when prompted.
- Contact Information – If you contact Energize CT by telephone, email, social media channels, letter, or via our Contact Us page, we may keep a record of your correspondence, comments and/or any contact information you provide. If you report a problem with this website, we may collect such information in a file specific to you. If you contact Energize CT through our Contact Us page or by calling one of our customer service representatives, we may ask for your name, phone number and email address so that we can respond to your inquiry.
- Newsletters – We may offer free newsletters and promotional emails as a service to you. We may send you newsletters and emails periodically listing current offerings, upcoming events, news, and tips. Please follow the opt-out procedures described in our newsletters or emails to stop receiving them. If you choose to unsubscribe, your request will be honored promptly.
- Energize CT program enrollment – In order to take advantage of some of our programs or incentives, you may be asked to submit personal information such as your name, address, phone number, or email. Should you wish to opt out of program-related communications, please follow the opt-out procedures described.
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
When you browse this website, you and your web browser may also transmit information that we automatically collect.
Cookies and Tracking
This website uses “cookies.” A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user’s computer tied to information about the user. You are not required to accept cookies to use this website. If you choose not to accept cookies, some functionality of this website may not work properly.
- To track visitors around our website. We may use this information to analyze browsing, use and navigation patterns on our website so that we may enhance and improve its functionality and service.
- To analyze device and location information on an aggregate basis.
- For marketing and advertising purposes. These uses include but are not limited to retargeting advertising, or serving you ads, once you have left our website and analyzing the effectiveness of our online advertisements.
- To personalize and improve the website experience including through personalized content provided to you based on the parts of the Energize CT website you have viewed.
For additional information about cookies:
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) is an industry body that develops standards and guidelines to support online business processes. It has produced a series of web pages that explain how cookies work and how they can be managed at www.allaboutcookies.org.
Google Analytics and Heat Mapping
We will never (and will not allow any third party to) use the statistical analytics tool to track or to collect any PII of visitors to our site. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. Neither we nor Google will link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any PII from any source, unless you explicitly submit that information via a fill-in form on our website.
We may also use third party heat mapping to detect the elements of our website users click on and to analyze navigation and site usage patterns. We use this information to evaluate and improve our website. User sessions on this website may be recorded and reviewed for this purpose.
Third Party Advertising
We use Google AdWords Remarketing to advertise Energize CT across the Internet. Google AdWords Remarketing allows us to tailor our marketing to only display ads that are relevant to you; ads that are based on what parts of the Energize CT website you have viewed. To accomplish this, Google AdWords Remarketing may place or recognize a unique cookie on your computer, and may record information to these cookies based upon your activities on our website and on third party websites. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, visit support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922.
How to Opt Out of Remarketing and Advertising
Links to Third Party Sites
Security of Personal Information
Energize CT takes the security of your personal information seriously. We implement commercially reasonable technical, physical, and administrative security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, unauthorized access, alteration, and destruction of personal information collected through this website. However, we cannot and do not guarantee that your personal information will never be accessed by an unauthorized party or otherwise breached.
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information for as long as we deem reasonably necessary or desirable, unless any applicable law, rule, or regulation requires a different retention period. We reserve the right to delete or destroy any information collected, including personal information, at any time.
We may update or change our privacy practices and this policy from time to time. If we update the policy, we will publish an announcement on our Website. The date at the top of this policy reflects the date of the most recent update.
Questions and How to Contact Us
Additional Privacy Terms for Connecticut Residents
Exercising Your Privacy Rights – Authentication: To respond to your requests to access, obtain a copy of, correct or delete your personal data, we will need to verify your identity and/or authority to make such requests and access, receive, modify or delete such personal data. When you submit a request, we will take steps to verify your identity. You are not required to create an account with us to submit a request. We may ask you to provide us with information about yourself in order to verify your identity. We will only use personal information you provide in connection with identity verification to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request and whenever feasible, we will attempt to match the information you provide with information we may already have about you.
Third-Party: If you wish to authorize a third party to exercise an opt-out right on your behalf through an authorized agent, please contact us at the email address below.
Right to Access and Obtain a Copy of Personal Data: You have the right to access and obtain a copy of your personal data Energize CT processes. You have the right to request and obtain from us, once every twelve months and free of charge, a copy of the personal data that Energize CT processes, and, to the extent applicable and technically feasible, we will provide you this information in a portable format.
Right to Request Deletion of Your Personal Data: You have the right to request that Energize CT delete your personal data subject to certain limitations. If we do not delete your personal data for reasons permitted under applicable law, we will advise you accordingly about how you may appeal the decision.
Right to Change or Correct Personal Data: You can request that we change or correct certain personal data after you have requested and reviewed a copy of your data.
Appeal: If Energize CT declines to take action on your request, you may submit an appeal request through the email address below. Once we receive an appeal, we have 60 days under the CTDPA to inform you in writing of any action taken or not taken in response to the appeal. If we deny your rights request after an appeal, under the CTDPA you may contact the Connecticut Attorney General’s Office at https://portal.ct.gov/AG/Contact-the-Attorney-Generals-Office/Contact-the-Attorney-Generals-Office.